At this point, the plywood subfloor is ready to be laid, but after encountering a setback with our foundation inspection, we were left to spend most of Tuesday catching up on design and excavating yet another trench for electrical conduit. In a mad rush, we ran a few more stamped construction drawings ( thank you to Jerry Kunkel our Engineer!!) up to the city on Wednesday morning and were able to begin laying out our subfloor onto the girders.
On Thursday we managed to finish laying out the floor decking, and with the help of Dallas Area Habitat for Humanity, we knocked out our preliminary first floor framing. While the Congo crew was busy laying out sole plates and the perimeters of walls, Habitat built our headers for the doors and windows, along with our pocket door frames. A few members were able to come back out to the site again on Friday to help us finish the first floor and begin to frame the second.
The new house now exhumes its way out of the shell of the old house, creating a wonderful and delicate skeleton of a new home.